Walking 10000 steps is a simple and low-impact physical activity that can offer numerous benefits for your health and well-being. Really what it comes down to is the body movement that walking provides and the vast amount of benefits having an active lifestyle brings to us. The majority of us walk each and everyday so why not make a distance goal part of your daily regime? Let’s take a look at what simply walking 10000 steps each day will do for you.
Benefits Of Walking
Walking is a great way to get your heart pumping and improve your cardiovascular health. It can help lower your blood pressure, reduce your risk of heart disease, and improve your overall heart health. Walking can also help build muscle strength and endurance, particularly in the legs and core. This can improve your balance, stability, and overall mobility.
Walking can help you maintain a healthy weight by burning calories and boosting your metabolism. It can also help reduce belly fat, which is associated with a higher risk of chronic diseases. Regular walking can help reduce your risk of chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, cancer, and stroke. It can also improve your immune system function, making you more resistant to illness.
A study in JAMA Neurology found that walking about 10,000 steps a day was linked to less cardiovascular disease (heart disease, stroke and heart failure), 13 types of cancer, and dementia.
Activities like walking can have a positive impact on your mental health, reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression, and improving your mood and overall well-being. It can also help you manage stress and improve your cognitive function. It is also a great way to meet new people and make new friends (especially if you have a dog with you). Whether you join a walking group or just take a stroll with a friend or family member, walking can help you connect with others and improve your social life.
Another benefit of regular physical activity, is that it can help you fall asleep faster, sleep more soundly, and wake up feeling more refreshed. The more you accomplish in the day has this effect on us and a beneficial activity like walking is a great way to get that sense of accomplishment.
Why Is A Walking 10000 Steps Important
We all know being physically active is almost always in our best interest so why should we set goals for ourselves? For the simple reason goals make the activity more meaningful based on the fact that we get to achieve what we set out to do which is supportive in our quest to achieve a motivated mindset.
It should be apparent that setting a daily steps goal, or any personal goal for that matter, encourages you to strive for something that is of benefit to you. The simple function of setting a goal which is SMART can, and will, help set you up for big gains in your life. It can also help you establish making walking a regular part of your daily routine.
Having a walking 10000 steps goal also provides a measurable way to track your progress and see improvements over time. It can be motivating to see your step count increase each day or week, and can help you stay accountable to your health and fitness goals. We all like gamification so why not make steps in a day part of your own personal game – you might be surprised how far you can travel in a day and how good you will feel for having done so.
Step counters do not need to be fancy or expensive either and if you have a smart phone you likely already have one in your pocket. Just be sure to have one that tracks your progress over time so you can see how consistent you are, how you might be exceeding your goals or even which areas you might wish to improve on, if any.
Having a specific walking 10000 steps goal can provide structure and focus to your daily routine, making it easier to prioritize physical activity and make it a regular part of your day. Whether your goal is to lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, or simply be more active, setting a walking steps goal can help you achieve your fitness goals and improve your overall health and well-being.
Walking Adventures Await
Ok – you have decided to lace up the old walking shoes and are ready to go and crush that walking 10000 steps goal… but where should you head to? Here are a few ideas to get you going:
- A local park is a great place to go for a walk. Many parks have walking trails or paths, which can make for a more interesting and varied walk than simply walking around your neighborhood. Plus, parks often have beautiful scenery and plenty of green space to enjoy.
- Walking along a beach or waterfront can be a relaxing and enjoyable way to get some exercise. The soft sand can also provide a bit of a challenge, which can help to work your leg muscles.
- If you prefer to walk indoors, a shopping mall can be a good option. Many malls open early for walkers and provide a safe and climate-controlled environment. You can also take advantage of window shopping or grab a coffee at the end of your walk.
- Walking through a botanical garden can be a great way to enjoy the beauty of nature while also getting some exercise. Many botanical gardens have walking paths or trails that can provide a good workout while also giving you a chance to appreciate the plants and flowers.
- Walking through a historic district can be a fun and interesting way to explore your city or town. You can take in the architecture, learn about local history, and get some exercise all at the same time.
- If you prefer a more rugged and adventurous walk, a nature trail might be a good choice. Look for a local nature preserve or state park that has walking trails. You can enjoy the beauty of nature while also getting some fresh air and exercise. There are multiple apps available that can help you find your local trails and even people to walk them with.
- Sometimes the best walking destination is right in your own neighborhood. Walking around your block or through nearby streets can be an easy way to get some exercise without having to go too far from home. You can also use this as an opportunity to meet your neighbors and learn more about your community.
Who Should Consider Walking 10000 Steps
Walking 10000 steps per day is a beneficial physical activity goal for most healthy adults who have no mobility limitations or medical conditions that prevent them from walking. It’s a good starting point for someone who is currently inactive and looking to become more active.
However, it’s important to note that a goal of walking 10000 steps may not be appropriate or achievable for everyone, particularly those with medical conditions or physical limitations. For example, individuals with mobility impairments, chronic pain, or cardiovascular disease may need to start with a lower step count and gradually increase their activity level based on their individual needs and abilities.
On the other hand, some individuals may benefit from setting a higher step count goal if they are already active and looking to increase their physical activity level. The American Heart Association recommends that adults aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week, which can be achieved through a combination of activities like brisk walking, cycling, swimming, or dancing.
Walking 10000 steps a day is about a 4-5 mile (6-8 km) walk depending on our stride – we all have somewhere to go so why not consider using your feet instead of your car for some of those destinations.
“if you walk briskly for 30 minutes and include enough activity throughout the day to reach the combined total of 10,000 steps, you’re burning about 400 to 500 calories a day, which means you’re potentially losing one pound each week.”
Getting your body in motion via walking can only be of benefit for you. Setting goals like walking 10000 steps may seem daunting at first but once it becomes a habit you will love the daily routine of achieving this movement goal. Now get out there and explore!